Slight update to the slider

I’ve made some updates to the motor and slider gantry part. I’ve added a geared stepper motor (gear ratio: 5.18:1) with a 36 Tooth pully, though a 20 tooth pulley is also available, Black contoller box, new limit switches, new connector for the motor to the box and lifted the camera ball head on a section of 40mmx20mm aluminium rectangular tube so as to deal with the taller motor. New parts listed below. The geared motor works better than the direct drive and provides some resistance to the moptor free sliding when the is no power applied. I’ve also upgraded some of the M5 screws to stainless to minimise rust and corrosion.

Bipolar Stepper Motor with Planet Gear Box (18kg.cm)

https://core-electronics.com.au/bipolar-stepper-motor-with-planet-gear-box-18kg-cm.html

Aluminum GT2 Timing Pulley – 6mm Belt – 36 Tooth – 8mm Bore

https://core-electronics.com.au/aluminum-gt2-timing-pulley-6mm-belt-36-tooth-8mm-bore.html

Micro Limit Switch Kit with Mounting Plate

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/elec-micro-kit

GX12 4pin Male And Female Connector

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/gx12-4pin-male-and-female-connector/

Zulkit Waterproof Plastic Project Box ABS IP65 Electronic Junction Box Enclosure Black 3.94 x 2.68 x 1.97 inch (100X68X50mm) (Pack of 2)

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07RTYYHK7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mounting screws for the geared motor are offset slightly differently so I had to modify the stepper mounting plate to accomodate the screws.
New micro switch seem to be a little more robust and come with mounting hardware..
The GX12 4pin Male And Female Connector locks in more securely with a screw lock to hold it in place. Also I think the black case looks a little more professional.

New photo added to my gallery.

I’ve added a new photo to my gallery. This one is a compoiste panorama of 3 photos edited in Capture One Pro, aligned in PTGui and finally merged and enhanced in photoshop using Lunenzia luminonisity masks and Nik Color Efex.

OK so it has been a while since I have been back here but I thought I’d post an update to the camera slider. I’ve been looking at simplifying the electronics part of it and have managed to potentially do away with the Sparkfun Arduino ProtoShield Kit. Instead I’m looking at putting the components that are on the Protoshield on a single board with the Arduino.

I’ve looked at two main development boards: the Adafruit MENTA – Mint Tin Arduino Compatible Kit with Mint Tin and the SpikenzieLabs Prototino ATMega328- Kit. Both are very good but I’ve decided to try the Prototino simple because it is smaller. The kit pictured below, is easy to assemble. (image courtesy of Spekenzielabs)

Prototino ATMega328- Kit - Click Image to Close

and makes a nice small package once complete. You will need either another Arduino to program the chip or use an USB FTDI adapter/cable, or simply transfer the chip from another build..

IMG_0003

As far as space goes a preliminary placement of the main parts shows that there is plenty of space to put the Big Easy Driver and the optocouplers as well as the resistors and the connecting wires.

IMG_0224

I’ll play around with placement a bit more and will hopefully have an operational replacement for the original build up and running soon. It will easily fit into the original box as well.

 

Timelapse change

I finally got the rail and went to fit the gantry plate only to find that there was not enough clearance between the rail and the bottom of the gantry plate, the screws and Tee nuts were hitting the rail. I purchased some 30mm M5 screws and some 3mm spacers and replaced the standard 25mm screws that came with the wheels. Now the gantry fits the rail with a couple of mm  clearance . I have now updated the rest of the rail component and will be adding the controller box build in the next couple of days.